Check out these other City Calendars for more events, programs, and presentations.
Spring Backyard Compost Workshop
- Date: 04/25/2019 6:00 PM - 8:00 PM
Backyard composting is an effective way to reduce household carbon footprints and provide quality compost for use in gardens. Come learn how to start and maintain a highly efficient backyard compost system by learning what to feed your compost pile, appropriate bins and methods for our geographics, tips and troubleshooting, and much more. This is a free class taught by Melanie Nehls Burow, a Master Composter in Colorado.
FINISHED COMPOST CAN:
• Reduce the need for chemical fertilizers and pesticides
• Suppress plant diseases and pests
• Promote higher crop yield
• Improve water retention in soil & reduce erosion
• Improve soil structure
We will also have Soilsaver Compost bins for sale at cost for $55. Personal check or exact cash only. Soilsaver Classic compost bin provides an easy way to convert common yard and food waste into compost. This is a large capacity compost bin which will work great for a household of up to five people. In addition, the locking lid helps to keep pests out of the composter. The quarter-inch thick structural foam, black recycled plastic is built to last and hold the heat inside. The lid is designed to collect rain water to keep the compost moist.
Boulder County Resource Conservation Division
(Organizer of Backyard Compost Workshops)
The Resource Conservation Division strives to lead and promote actions that will help Boulder County reach its goal of Zero Waste "or darn near" by 2025. Our mission is to provide convenient, cost-effective facilities and programs to help Boulder County reduce waste disposal, protect the environment, and conserve natural resources.
Programs and Services
- Community Outreach (Zero Waste) Program Funding
- Compost Workshops
- Compost Bin Sales
- Hazardous Waste Disposal for Residents
- Hazardous Waste Disposal for Businesses (VSQG)
- Hauler Licensing
- Boulder County Recycling Center
- Recycling Center Tours
- Recycling Drop-off Centers in Allenspark, Boulder, Lyons, Nederland, and Niwot
- Yard Waste Drop-off Site for use by unincorporated county residents
- $150 Zero Waste Coupon for businesses
- Resource Conservation Advisory Board
The division also offers countywide public education and outreach; manages services for Boulder County government offices including in-house zero waste services, electronics waste recycling, and hazardous waste disposal; assists in funding environmental education programs (provided by Eco-Cycle) in Boulder Valley and St.Vrain Valley schools; and provides Zero Waste funding opportunities.