The Miners Memorial statue in front of City Hall is a symbol of the history of the people who built Louisville - the coal miners. In August 1877, the Welch Mine opened in Louisville, the first of many coal mines to come. Louis Nawatny, a local landowner, platted his land and named it for himself. The Town of Louisville was incorporated on June 16, 1882.
Today the City of Louisville is often recognized for its livability. Many things contribute to this exemplary quality of life and positive economic condition, including 1,700 acres of open space, dozens of great eateries, a thriving arts scene, great schools, wonderful neighborhoods and a diverse mix of employment opportunities. To learn more about Louisville, read our Community Profile.