CONTEST OPENS ON MAY 13 - ENTRIES DUE BY JUNE 9
Ages 16 - 21 | Residents of Boulder County
Are you an aspiring muralist? A young artist bursting with ideas and ready to design and paint an outdoor mural? The Louisville Public Library has a wall with your name on it! The Library backs up to Via Artista, an alley which, over time, will be filled with murals. Our parking ramp wall will be your canvas for an installation based on the theme “A UNIVERSE OF STORIES.” We seek to install an original design that speaks to the universality of stories and the importance of the story in human evolution. How do stories connect us to each other? How do they connect us to our past, to our future and to worlds that live only in the author’s imagination? The Contest shall be subject to these Official Rules, and by entering, all participants agree to be bound by the terms and conditions herein. Certain restrictions may apply.
This contest is intended to provide a space for aspiring young artists to share their talents and to add to the public art in beautiful downtown Louisville. THE LOUISVILLE PUBLIC LIBRARY 2019 MURAL COMPETITION starts at 12:00:01 MDT on May 13, 2019. Entries are due by 11:59:59 MDT on June 9, 2019.
Winners will be personally contacted on June 12, 2019 and winners will be announced to the community on June 13, 2019. Winners' murals will be painted and installed between June 23 and June 25, 2019. The wall will be prepped by City staff prior to that date.
We intend to make this an annual contest, so the winning mural may be retained for one to two years, then painted over to free the wall for future installations. The winning artist or group of artists are donating their time and talent to this collaboration and will not be compensated, but there will be a $300 prize offered to the winning artist or group of artists. The Louisville Cultural Council will contribute $200 to help cover the cost of paint and supplies. The area to be painted is 44” tall by 28.5’ long. Designs should substantially cover the available space.
A group of judges from Louisville boards and commissions, the Louisville Cultural Council and other select community members will choose the winning mural design to be painted and installed by the artists on the parking ramp wall behind the Louisville Public Library. The judges will evaluate the murals and statements submitted by entrants based on ability to communicate the theme, visual appeal, composition, originality, and production schedule and materials needs. The decision of the judges is final and binding. The winning artist will have the opportunity to meet with an experienced mural artist for mentoring and advice.
This Contest is open only to residents of Boulder County who are between the ages of 16 and 21 as of the date the Contest begins. Employees of the City of Louisville are not eligible to participate in the Contest. All federal, state and local rules and regulations apply. In order to be eligible to be selected as a winner, each entrant also must commit to being available from June 23 to June 25 to paint and install the mural at the Louisville Public Library.
HOW TO ENTER:
- An entrant may be one individual or a group of individuals with a designated lead artist.
- To enter each individual artist or designated lead artist must submit:
- A completed Entry Form and Mural Use Agreement
- An image of the proposed mural design
- A statement providing the story behind the image and how it speaks to the theme
- A short bio of each artist
- A reference letter that confirms the artist/s ability to commit to and complete a project
- Entries may be submitted in two ways.
- Digital submissions may be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Physical submissions may be dropped off at the Circulation Desk at the Louisville Public Library Mon-Thurs 10-8, Fri-Sat 10-6 and Sunday 12-5. (951 Spruce St., Louisville, CO 80027)
- By entering, you represent and warrant that the mural and the statement that you submit are original and are solely your own work.
- The City of Louisville shall have the right, but not the obligation, to display images of the winning murals and all or a portion of the winning statements on our website, all social media channels, in print publications and broadcast news outlets and at any of the City’s buildings.
The contest winner will be notified via email at the address provided on the entry form.
Contest Details, Entry Form and Use Agreement Form:
Mural Installation Location:
The area to be painted is 44” tall by 28.5’ long. Designs should substantially cover the available space.