TUE, WED & SAT, 10am–3pm
FRI, 10am–3pm
First Friday Art Walk Hours: 6–8pm
  2016 Closures
FRI, Jan. 1 – New Year's Day
FRI, Nov. 11 – Veterans Day
FRI, Nov. 25 – City Holiday
SAT, Dec. 24 – City Holiday

The museum coordinator may schedule appointments and tours outside of normal open hours. Please contact Museum Coordinator Bridget Bacon.

If you would like to bring a group larger than six members during normal business hours, please make advance arrangements with the Museum Coordinator.

About the Museum

At the Louisville Historical Museum complex, visitors can tour three buildings that were constructed between 1903 and 1908. All are listed on the Louisville Register of Historic Places.

The main building, historically known as the Jacoe Store, features a variety of artifacts and historic photographs that reflect the settlement and industry of Louisville, such as coal mining artifacts and the 1920s-era painted theatre curtain from the Rex Theatre on Main Street. This building was placed on the National Register of Historic Places because of its architecture and association with commercial development in Louisville.

Museum Main Building

The Tomeo House is interpreted as a coal miner’s house, with a kitchen, bedroom, and sitting room. It was the home of two of Louisville's many Italian families: the Tomeo family, then the Rossi family.

Tomeo House   Jordinelli_color
Tomeo House   Jordinelli House

The Jordinelli House contains a six-foot by six-foot replica of original downtown Louisville, which was made by Louisville native, Dick Del Pizzo.

Replica1   Replica2
Replica of Downtown Louisville at the Museum's Jordinelli House
Read the story of how and why Del Pizzo made the replica:

Our Mission

The mission of the Louisville Historical Museum—a facility owned and operated by the City of Louisville—is to promote, collect, preserve, and interpret the diverse history of Louisville from the time of settlement until present day, with a special emphasis on the coal mining period, 1877-1955. The museum is dedicated to protecting artifacts and documents of historical value and educating children and adults about the past.

Museum Support

The Louisville Historical Commission is a City advisory board appointed by the City Council. The Commission advises City Council in the development and use of the Louisville Historical Museum; promotes public awareness of the history of Louisville and its surrounding area; and establishes criteria for the collection, preservation, and display of the Museum's historical artifacts, documents, and structures.

Memberships and donations supporting the Museum are accepted by the Louisville History Foundation, a non-profit 501(c)(3) corporation. The Foundation stimulates broad-based support for local history and the Louisville Historical Museum and encourages the development of the Museum through fundraising, advocacy, and education.

Volunteer at the Museum

Help us preserve Louisville’s colorful history for future generations. Volunteers are welcome to join in the work at the museum.

The museum currently needs volunteers:

  • to conduct Museum tours
  • as oral history interviewers


Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Flash Player QuickTime Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer