In 2015, the City of Louisville entered into a franchise agreement with Comcast of Colorado, LLC. Franchise agreements allow companies to use the City’s rights-of-way to provide service to Louisville customers.
The Louisville/Comcast franchise agreement requires that Comcast provide the City a local government access channel (Channel 8) and a Public Access channel (Channel 54). The City maintains and broadcasts on Channel 8. Broadcast information includes City Council and Planning Commission meetings, information on City projects and events, and information from other governmental entities.
Additionally the agreement requires Comcast to pay the city a franchise fee for the use of the rights-of-way. Comcast passes that fee on to Louisville cable subscribers.CUSTOMER SERVICE STANDARDS
Along with franchise agreement the City approved Customer Service Standards (CSS) for Comcast. The purpose of the customer service standards is to establish uniform requirements for the quality of service that Comcast is expected to offer their customers in Louisville. The Standards are subject to change from time to time. The Standards include:
- Cable Operator shall resolve complaints without delay and interference from the City.
- Where a given complaint is not addressed by the Cable Operator to the citizen’s satisfaction, the City may intervene. The City may also establish deadlines and monetary sanctions to encourage compliance and deter future non-compliance.
- The Cable Operator shall be relieved these CSS obligations if it is unable to perform due to a region-wide natural emergency or in the event of force majeure affecting a significant portion of the franchise area.
- Specific sections of the CSS identify the following areas and list minimum standards:
- Installation Time
- Television Reception
- Treatment of Property
- Services for Customers with Disabilities
- Customer Information
- Customer Privacy
- Complaint Procedure
- The Cable Operator is free to exceed these Standards to the benefit of its Customers.
Please see the CSS for complete information.
Complaints about your Comcast service should initially be directed to the service provider. If your complaints cannot be resolved by the provider, please contact the City Manager's Office (303.335.4536) for additional help. The City does not have the authority to adjust or control rates, but may be able to help if you have poor service or billing errors.
Items that the City cannot require or control include:
- Cable rates
- Cable service to every location on Louisville (some sections of town do not have Comcast and we cannot require they build out to those locations).
- Neither this franchise agreement nor the CSS cover or pertain to broadband or telephone services.
For additional information, please contact the City Manager's Office (303.335.4536).