No more overdue fines for youth library materials
In an effort to make the Louisville Public Library even more inclusive, patrons will no longer be charged overdue fines on youth materials. This includes all books, DVDs, CDs, American Girl Doll and Story Bags, the WOW Museum Pass, Hidden History Backpacks, and other materials in the children’s and teen’s areas of the library.
Commenting, Library and Museum Services Director Sharon Nemechek said:
“Studies have shown that the threat of overdue fines discourages struggling families from using the library. In an effort to provide equal access to library collections and services for all families, we have eliminated fines on youth items. We hope that by eliminating these fines all families feel welcome at the library and encouraged to explore, discover and check out the items that appeal to their kids and teens.”
All fines accrued before this change will still be due. Patrons will continue to be billed for the full cost of lost items.
Books and so much more
In addition to a rich collection of youth reading material, the library offers a great selection of family-friendly programming, special events, and resources including:
- Children’s area with toys and computers
- Baby/crawler area
- Teen Library and homework space
- American Girl doll and book bag
- Stories to go (themed bundle of children’s books and a toy)
- Hidden History Backpacks
- Children’s audio books on the Libby app – perfect for road trips!
- DVDs and CDs
- Story Times for babies, toddlers, and preschool age children
- Storybook Yoga
- Music & Movement
- Messy Art
- Craft activities for teens and tweens
- Reading Buddies – be paired with a buddy to increase reading skills
- Read to Rover – read to a therapy dog to increase reading confidence
- Summer Reading Challenge (launches in May)
Find out more
The Louisville Public Library is open 7 days a week.
Visit the Louisville Public Library website for full details of resources and programming.
All programs and special events can be found on the City’s Calendar.
*Please note that Makerspace materials are not exempt from overdue fines.
If you have any questions, please come in for a visit at 951 Spruce Street or call 303-335-4849.
Sign up to the Monthly Community Update email newsletter to receive a monthly round up of news from the City.