Louisville Historical Museum
Accepted July 17, 2019
Be a Part of the Story!
Connect and share in the heart of Louisville.
- Engage Community
- Collect, Preserve, and Share the History of Louisville
- Refine and Promote the Vision for the Future of the Museum Campus
1001 Main St.
Louisville, CO 80027
749 Main St.
Louisville, CO 80027
Collection and Exhibits
Stay connected with Museum events and news by subscribing to these email newsletters:
Museum Newsletter - sign up here for the Louisville Historical Museum monthly e-newsletter with upcoming events and programs.
City of Louisville E-notification - sign up here for notifications about the Historical Museum, Historical Preservation Commission, and Historical Commission.
Library and Museum E-notification - sign up here for event notices from the Library and Museum
Interest in establishing a historical museum was initiated in 1979 by Louisville community members and volunteers with a desire to preserve Louisville's history and culture after the city's 100th anniversary in 1978.
1979 — Louisville City Council establishes the Historical Commission responsible for historic preservation
1984 — First artifacts are donated and Louisville Historical Commission is formed as a nonprofit 501c3.
1986 — Louisville Historical Museum opens in the Tomeo House, a historic miner's house on Main Street
1990 — The Jacoe Store at 1001 Main is added to the museum campus and becomes the main Museum building
1999 — First paid professional staff member hired part-time as Museum Coordinator
2001 — The Jordinelli House and Summer Kitchen are relocated to the museum campus
2002 — City forms the Historic Preservation Commission to address historic preservation issues
2008 — Louisville voters approve a dedicated city tax for historic preservation, creating the City’s Historic Preservation Fund.
2010 — Museum joins the Library to become part of the Department of Library & Museum Services
2012 — Museum Coordinator becomes a full-time position with partial hours allocated to support the Planning Department and historic building research
2014 — Replica of Original Downtown is installed in the Jordinelli House and opened to the public
2015 — Position of Museum Technician is added and public hours are increased
2016 — Museum celebrates its 30th anniversary
2019 — Museum increases staffing with two additional Museum Technician positions and increases open hours to five days/ week
Respect the Past While Planning for the Future
To learn more about the planning and concept design for a new museum campus, the following information is provided: