Exhibit Space Policy
The Library receives numerous requests for exhibit space from local artists and artist organizations. Library staff are not art critics but rather art appreciators, as well as stewards of the Library's mission and goal to serve and include as broad a community as possible. To assist the art exhibit committee in making its determinations, the following criteria have been established:
- The artist must have:
- held at least one previous one-person show; or
- exhibited in a juried art show; or
- exhibited in an organized, public art show.
- Because the Library is a public facility, and the gallery space is open to everyone including children of all ages, nudes and other suggestive subject matter are not exhibited.
- The Library does not organize receptions for individual artists.
- Artists are permitted to post pricing along with title of work, medium, and so forth. However, the Library does not handle sales and does not take any commission.
- Exhibits are for one month and are typically installed on the first day of the month and removed on the last day of the month. If the first or last day of the month falls on a Saturday or Sunday, a schedule adjustment may be made at the discretion of exhibits coordinator (303-335-4815).
- It is the responsibility of the artist to install and remove the exhibit; a step ladder is available.
- All drawings, paintings, and photographs must be wired for hanging.
- Only the track and cable system is permitted for hanging artwork; no other means of affixing the work to a wall is permitted. Alterations to either the hanging cables or hooks is not permitted. Damage to the hanging system as a result of any alterations may be charged to the exhibiting artist, at the discretion of the Library Director.
- Artists are permitted to affix small informational tags to gallery walls, but only with adhesive products that are non-marring and proven not to damage the walls (e.g., UHU Tac). Please check with exhibit coordinator before using any adhesives on the gallery walls.
- The City of Louisville is not responsible for loss or damage to art displayed in the gallery or elsewhere in the Library.
How to Apply
Each prospective exhibitor must submit an application along with:
- a short artist statement and resumé/biography
- photos of the work to be exhibited (minimum of 5 examples)
- a show theme, if appropriate
The Library exhibition committee reviews applications and selects artists based on a variety of factors including the Library's scheduled events, programming, or community outreach efforts.About the Gallery Space
- The Library waives any responsibility for theft or damage to any display or artwork. It is advised that each artist provide contact information and an inventory of the work to be displayed.
- The Library uses a museum-quality track and cable hanging system that includes adjustable, secure hooks.
- Each stainless steel cable can support 50-60 pounds.
- Track-to-floor height is 10 feet.
- There are a total of 42 linear feet of track, divided between the east and west sides of the gallery space, as shown below:
- East side (single wall) = 17 feet
- East side (four angled walls) = 12 feet
- West side = 13 feet
west side of gallery
east side of gallery
- Assignment of exhibit space is made at the discretion of the art exhibit committee.
- The east side of the gallery space also has two locking cases, each with three adjustable, tempered glass shelves.
- Each case measures 72"H x 24"W x 24"D, with a 60"H display area on a 12"H base.
|gallery display cases|