The City of Louisville Parks and Recreation Department is pleased to offer a memorial program to honor and remember friends and relatives. The program is designed to assist the City, through donor funding, to plant trees and install benches in locations that have been identified as appropriate, and suitable.
- The location and any inscription on a marker or plaque must be approved by the Director of Parks and Recreation or his/her designee.
- Department staff will work with the donor to determine an ideal location for your bench or tree but will limit the number of memorial benches or trees that can be placed within any park, open space, golf course, cemetery or other City of Louisville Parks and Recreation Department maintained property. Memorial trees are not permitted in areas that are not irrigated, including but not limited to open space.
- At the donor's option, the name of the loved one memorialized or honored will be inscribed on a plaque to be placed on the bench or on a marker that can be placed at the base of the memorial tree.
- Final determination on tree species, location and planting will be determined and accomplished by the Parks and Recreation Department. Trees will typically be planted during the fall and spring planting seasons, but may be ordered at any time. Some locations may not be available. Bench locations on Open Space will be predetermined by the City. Link to Open Space Memorial Bench Availability Map.
- All costs related to bench fabrication, installation and inscription/plaque shall be the responsibility of the donor. Plaque shall be 4" x 6" bronze plaque or approved substitute.
- The cost to purchase and plant a tree along with any inscription, plaque or marker shall be the responsibility of the donor. Plaque shall be 4" x 6" bronze plaque or approved substitute.
- The City will make every reasonable effort to maintain trees and benches but will not be responsible for acts of nature, survivability of trees, damage or vandalism to benches or trees. At the City's sole and absolute discretion, the City may replace memorial trees and make repairs or replacement of memorial benches but shall not be required to replace or repair.
- The City reserves the right to remove or relocate the bench or tree if the City determines that removal is in the City's best interest.
- Non-perishable items, such as photos, plastic flowers and beads, are not permitted and will be removed.
- Persons wanting to participate in the Parks and Recreation Department Memorial Tree and Bench Program are requested to fill out an application and submit to Parks and Recreation Department at City of Louisville, Parks and Recreation Department, at 717 Main Street, Louisville, Colorado 80027. The cost of the bench or tree will be dependent upon size of tree, species and location. The cost of the bench will be determined by size, style, location and installation costs.
- The cost of the 2015/16 Memorial Tree Program is $300 to $1,000/tree. The cost of the Memorial Bench Program is $1,200 to $3,000.
Your donation of a tree and/or bench helps beautify our community, creates a sense of ownership and provides a meaningful amenity that thousands of users of the great outdoors can enjoy and appreciate as time goes by. You are encouraged to take advantage of one or both of these unique opportunities to remember a loved one, or a special occasion with a lasting tribute.
For more information, please contact the Parks and Recreation Department.