Now Hiring! Apply Online
The above video from MIT demonstrates the skills needed to pass the lifeguard class pretest.
We will train you!
AMERICAN RED CROSS Lifeguard training classes | Ages 15+
This 4 day American Red Cross class includes Lifeguarding CPR (PR) and First Aid.
You must attend every class and pass all skills and written tests to receive Red Cross Certification. Classes held on BVSD no school days. A pretest is required to participate in any lifeguard training class. Refunds will be given if pretest cannot be passed.
Contact Kate Meyer or by phone at 303-335-4927
For more information on the course here is the lifeguard course fact sheet
- Be at least 15 years old on or before the final scheduled session of the course.
- Swim 300 yards, continuously demonstrating breath control and rhythmic breathing. Candidates may swim using the front crawl, breaststroke or a combination of both, but swimming on the back or side is not allowed. Swim goggles may be used.
- Tread water for 2 minutes, using only the legs. Candidates should place their hands under the armpits.
- Complete a timed event within 1 minute, 40 seconds: Starting in the water, swim 20 yards. Swim goggles are not allowed.
- Surface dive, feet-first or headfirst, to a depth of 7 to 10 feet to retrieve a 10-pound object.
- Return to the surface and swim 20 yards on the back to return to the starting point with both hands holding the object and keeping the face at or near the surface so they are able to get a breath.
- Exit the water without using a ladder or steps.